Community outreach and educational development are two key goals of the Pittsburgh Airport Area Chamber of Commerce(PAACC). These twin goals come together in the CHOICES® program.CHOICES® is founded on the principle that community leaders and area businesspeople can serve as positive and instructive role models for area students. These volunteers, through a training program facilitated by the PAACC, spend time in area schools delivering the CHOICES® message to students that self-discipline, time management, and wise academic decision-making can offer them more opportunities in their lives and futures.This program is much more than just time spent in the classroom. Volunteers present hands-on activities that show students the reality of the “cost of living” and exposes them to real-life information about the education and skills required for various occupations in today’s and tomorrow’s workplace.
Currently we serve 10 schools in the Airport Area reaching over 1,800 students a year.
Support Provided By:
Volunteering:Volunteering your time and expertise with CHOICES® allows you to give back in a meaningful way that directly and positively impacts teens. As a CHOICES® presenter, you are actively delivering the CHOICES® message to middle school students think about how their decisions affect their future well beyond today.If you...
- Are not afraid of speaking in front of middle school students
- Are interested in education and care about young people
- Are enthusiastic, flexible and a good listener
- Are able to establish warm rapport and credibility with students
- Are able to present material in a clear and concise manner
- Are available to make presentations in school classrooms
Then we invite YOU to become a CHOICES® Volunteer Presenter!
All we ask from our volunteers is that they attend a 2-hour training course learning all of the details of the CHOICES® program. Once you have completed your training, we ask that you commit two consecutive days for 1 hour to complete the entire program to the same group of students, thats all! To sign up as a CHOICES® presenter, contact Susan Hovanec today by email, email@example.com.
CHOICES® is a small investment with a big return! With this program, we are able to provide these students with the information they need to make the right choices about their education and future. There are many ways you can contribute which include: sponsoring a classroom, sponsoring a school, or by simply donating to the program. The benefits that CHOICES® provides to you as a company include:
- Public speaking opportunity for employees
- Increases employee morale and builds teamwork
- Recruiting tool for prospective employees
- Immediate and significant exposure in the community
- Direct investment in future workforce
- Demonstrates “grass-roots” commitment to education
- Direct interaction and involvement with students in schools
- Positive relationships developed with school administrators
- Student motivation and personal responsibility addressed at a critical age
The Enterprise Foundation 501(c)(3) :
The PAACC was formed in 1904 and has supported the businesses, municipalities and military installations in its footprint. The PAACC’s mission is to advance economic vitality by providing advocacy, information and services to our members and the business community.
The Pittsburgh Airport Area Chamber Enterprise Foundation was formed in 2001 as a 501(c)(3) by the PAACC with a mission to promote educational and social vitality by supporting programs to improve graduation rates in area schools, support post-secondary education, promote workforce development and entrepreneurship.
The Foundation has sponsored CHOICES since 2006 growing from 4 schools to 10. To date, our CHOICES Program has reached more than 20,000 middle school students.
In 2014, the Sally Haas Scholarship Fund was established and has annually awarded two scholarships to graduating seniors from area schools.
Ready to Make a Difference?
If you are interested in joining or supporting the CHOICES® program, please contact Susan Hovanec,